Estate Agents Connah's Quay Selling Property
Estate Agents Connah's Quay The Big Estate Agency have just listed this spacious three bedroom semi detached house.
Lounge (4.21m x 4.15m)
On entering the lounge you will see the feature fireplace which has a wood surround and marble hearth. There is an inset electric living flame fire. Attractive wood effect laminate flooring. UPVC double glazed window to front aspect
Dining Room (2.43m x 2.54m)
Attractive wood effect laminate flooring, central heating radiator with thermostatic valve, archway to sitting room.
Living Room (3.08m x 2.48m)
Attractive wood effect laminate flooring, central heating radiator with thermostatic valve, sliding patio door to outside.
A range of wall and base units having oak doors, granite effect worktops, stainless steel sink with mixer tap, integrated electric oven and hob.
Estate Agents Connah’s Quay The Big Estate Agency
The original name of the place was New Quay, but due to confusion with other similarly named places, it was renamed some time after 1860. The town’s placename is of uncertain origin; among the theories are:
- That Connah was an industrialist and one of the principal founders of the dock in the town
- From a former landlord of the “Old Quay House”, a public house which is still on the docks in what is now the west side of the town.
- That Connah was a man who owned a chandlery store on the docks.
- From a lady called Mary Connah who used to own the dock, and so when people crossed the River Dee from places opposite, such as Parkgate or Neston, they would ask, “Could you take me to Connah’s Quay”.
Estate Agent Connah’s Quay Look In To Domesday Book
The earliest recorded settlements date from the time of the Domesday Book, listed as ‘Wepre’, part of the Hundred of Ati’s Cross, Cheshire. The total population was 6 households. Wepre Woods are also recorded, measuring ½ a league.
In The 18th Century It Was All Fields
Until the 18th century, the area where Connah’s Quay and its neighbours Shotton, Aston and Queensferry now stand was nothing more than fields and a handful of inhabitants. It was not until the silting of the River Dee ended Chester‘s port activities that people and commerce began to flood in. The docks at Connah’s Quay became a vital source of trade and finance for the greater Flintshire area, and with the advent of the railways during the 19th century a number of railway companies began to appear.
The First Railway Appeared
The first railway to appear in the area was the Chester and Holyhead Railway running across the coast of North Wales linking the rest of the Great Britain with Ireland via the port at Holyhead. The purpose of this railway was chiefly for post to and from Ireland. During the 19th century, the railway’s importance grew as Holyhead became the destination of choice for Ireland rather than Liverpool. Most of the line was quadruple tracked and this included the stretch through Connah’s Quay.
The Irish Mail Train
With the success of the Irish Mail trains, the dock was connected by the Wrexham, Mold and Connah’s Quay Railway to the nearby town of Buckley, chiefly to transport bricks, clay and pottery products. A railyard was established at Connah’s Quay docks with small feeder lines to the lines at Shotton, connecting to the North Wales and Liverpool Railway and the Chester and Connah’s Quay Railway.
Major Steel Works Founded In 1896
Connah’s Quay Became A Major Railway Town
By the late 1950s, the port had virtually ceased trading and the railway was in terminal decline. The two docks had by then long silted up, imprisoning the rotting hulk of an old wooden ship, the Bollam. This old vessel was believed to have taken part in rescuing the defeated British Expeditionary Force from Dunkirk.
The town’s passenger railway station (Connah’s Quay railway station) on the North Wales Coast Line and northern terminus of the WMCQR line was open between 1870 and 1966. While the line remains open, there no trace of the former station. The street Leighton Court was built in 1998 on the site of the former station forecourt as well as the former WMCQR line, which had been lifted many years before. In fact, the growth of housing in the town and greater area since the line to Buckley was removed means that there is almost no trace of the former line. Its former path across the cricket pitch, up Pinewood Avenue and down past the substation has been completely built over.
Fishing In The Port Of Connah’s Quay
Another activity that ceased with the closure of the port was fishing. Fishermen would row out across the river in an arc, paying out a long net over the stern of the boat as they went: see seine fishing. They then returned to shore and hauled in the net. Mostly they caught fluke, which would then be sold from barrows pushed around the housing estates.
Facilitated with the lifting of the Buckley line, by the 1970s the town had absorbed the nearby hamlets of Golftyn, Kelsterton and Wepre and many housing projects were developed.
Minister Of Housing And Regeneration
As with many small towns, the decline of local commerce has resulted in Connah’s Quay overdeveloping its houses at the expense of shops and businesses. Many of these houses were indeed refittings of former shops. As a result, the town’s population has swollen from a few hundred inhabitants to close to twenty thousand over a period of 50 years. Minister for Housing and Regeneration and Assembly Member for Alyn and Deeside since 2003, Carl Sargeant, lived in the town until his death in November, 2017.